Friday, July 9, 2010

Seafood Gumbo

I made this last night and it turned out super yummy! I just got back from 2 weeks at the beach, so I still have that seafood craving. I used Paula Deen's recipe, with a few changes to make it more "seafoody" for my own taste.

2 T butter
2 T flour
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cans diced tomatoes
4 c. chicken broth
1 pkg. Cajun-style smoked sausage
1/2 tsp thyme
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
3-4 dashes hot sauce
2 c. frozen okra
1 lb. shrimp, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 lb. crawfish tails
1/2 lb. lump crab
Rice

Make a roux by melting butter in large stock pot. Sprinkle in flour, stirring constantly. Toss in onion, pepper, and garlic, stir and brown for about 5 minutes. Pour in tomatoes, broth, sausage, thyme, bay leaves, cayenne, and hot sauce. Simmer for about 45 min. - 1 hour. Add in okra, cook for another 5 minutes. Add in seafood. Cook until shrimp has turned pink in color. Add a cup or two of water if it needs to be thinner and a few more dashes of hot sauce if you like it hotter. Serve over rice.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for doing this blog, Katie! I am not a great cook, but I really want to get better now that I'm staying at home. I will definitely have to try this recipe... it sounds delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I'm always looking for good recipes. MANY nights it's 5pm and I get onto my fav cooking blogs and search for recipes for dinner that night- I'm such a slacker! So glad I have another place to look! Your recipe sounds delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I am going to have to try this one. I have totally slacked on the whole wiferly/motherly duties of cooking this summer. :( My poor family. Thanks for sharing! Welcome to bloggy world!

    ReplyDelete