Saturday, June 9, 2012

Rainbow Cake

Rainbow cake with a rainbow tutu
This isn't the best picture, but you get the idea. The colors turned out great!!
The cupcakes turned out super cute!!! The rainbow is some of those gummy rainbow candies.



2 boxes white cake mix
eggs, oil, and water according to directions on box
**6 colors of rainbow food coloring- get the good stuff- I used AmeriColor gel pastes from Hobby Lobby- do not use the cheap old food coloring- colors probably wouldn't be near as pretty and bright

Cream Cheese Frosting: This recipe is doubled due to a big cake and extra cupcakes!
2 blocks cream cheese, softened
2 sticks butter, softened
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
dash of salt
2 bags powdered sugar
heavy cream



Mix cake mix batter with eggs, oil, and water according to directions. Get out 6 bowls. Divide batter up. I think I used about 2/3 cup of batter in each bowl. Then color the batter in each bowl- red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. In 8 inch round cake pans, I used non-stick spray and buttered them to make sure they did not even think about sticking! I only had 2 pans so I had to work in batches. Bake each cake for about 8-10 minutes on 350 degrees. Watch carefully since they are so thin! Once baked, cool each on cooling racks while baking others. When complete, use leftover batter to make cupcakes. I dyed my cupcake batter a sky blue. I also tinted the cake frosting a sky blue color and I left enough to do the cupcakes white. Frost in between each cake layer, then over cake. Pipe on the white frosting on the cupcakes then top with rainbow candies.

Rainbow Party:
Rainbow colored fruit and jellybeans

clear balls filled with tissue paper



No comments:

Post a Comment